Together with sun protection - early detection is your
against skin cancer .
Most of us know that protecting our skin from the sun is the most important step to preventing skin cancer…
- But what if your skin hasn’t always been protected?
- Maybe you can’t always avoid the sun?
- Or perhaps there is a history of skin cancer in your family?
Preventing skin cancer is also about knowing your risk level.
Did You Know?
- Australia and New Zealand have the highest incidence of skin cancer in the world.
- Skin cancers account for around 80% of all newly diagnosed cancers.
- More than 90% of skin cancers are caused by exposure to the sun.
- Melanoma is the most common life threatening cancer in the 15 to 44 year age group.
- Melanoma is the third most common life threatening cancer in both men & women overall.
- Melanoma is the third most commonly diagnosed cancer in Australia and fourth in New Zealand.
- Annually there are approximately 2040 melanoma deaths in Australia and 310 in New Zealand.
- Approximately 560 people in Australia and 157 in New Zealand die from other skin cancers each year.